A few months ago, my mom & tía introduced me to this “miracle grain/seed” called Quinoa. Surprisingly, I enjoyed the taste of it & they gave me their recipes. I decided to add my own touch & savor to it, which I’d like to share with YOU. If you’ve never had quinoa, this is a simple & tasty way to introduce yourself to it. It’s a great alternative to snacking on junk! All you need is a small amount & you’re full. Great for your post-workout or on-the-go snack. You can also make a larger batch to use as an appetizer or side dish for an event you’re hosting.
I make my quinoa weekly. Cooking up a large amount once a week makes it easier for me.
You’ll need the following ingredients:
Red, Yellow, & Green bell peppers
Low Sodium Chicken or Vegetable Broth
**Add whichever veggies you enjoy!
1) You’ll start off by boiling the quinoa in your chicken or vegetable broth, which substitutes the water (this gives it a richer flavor). <– Follow cooking instructions on packet
2) Once quinoa is cooked, let it cool to room temperature.
3) Start dicing your veggies! This is the most time consuming depending how you like your veggies chopped.
Here’s a pic of how I do mine:
4) Combine your diced/minced veggies with your cooled quinoa in a large mixing bowl.
5) Lemon Time! I use the lemons from my garden, which are on the smaller side, so I squeeze in about 5. Add salt to taste
6) Mix all the ingredients together & you’ll have a quick & healthy snack when you’re on-the-run!
So there you have it! I have a healthy snack to munch on daily! Enjoy with a few pita or corn chips or simply by itself!
The crispness and various textures are a great combo that any Foodie, like myself, will enjoy!
Tasty quinoa salad will surely have you hooked!
**All ingredients can be found at your local grocery store. For this demonstration, ingredients purchased at my local Fresh & Easy & picked from my garden